Tuesday, January 19, 2010

STOP, DROP, AND ROLL

During Fire Prevention Week last fall I was teaching in a pre-k classroom. On the final day we visited the local fire station. A fireman, dressed in all his gear, greeted us when we walked in. He helped the boys and girls understand that firemen are not scary. They are our friends. Also, we practiced what to do in case of fire. (Say it with me...) STOP...DROP...and ROLL!

So....we make it back to the classroom. We have snack. Then, the final activity of the day is to sing a rockin' rendition of a STOP, DROP, and ROLL song with Sesame Street characters as the students actually STOP...DROP...and ROLL during circle time.

As their "tickets home", students must come up one at a time and whisper in my ear the answer to this question: What do you do if you catch on fire? One after another, the boys and girls come up, whisper STOP, DROP, and ROLL in my ear, and pack up to go home. I'll admit it---at this point I'm feeling a bit cocky. It's been an extremely productive day, and I'm very confident that every student in the class will know what to do in case of emergency.

Only one student left-- Peyton. She bounces up to me with a bright, shiny face...just bursting with excitement. I can tell...My girl knows the answer to the all important question that one day could save her life.


Me: Peyton, what will you do if you catch on fire?
Peyton: (In a not-so-quiet whisper) STOP, ROCK, and ROLL!!!

No comments: