Monday, January 4, 2010

I JUST MADE HISTORY

I get a text from my eight-year-old daughter on New Year's Eve: I JUST MADE HISTORY. Hmmmmmmmmm....What does that mean? I must stop at this point to give a little background. First, and most importantly, I feel the need to make the disclaimer that big sister bought little sister a cell phone for Christmas---NOT Mom. I still believe eight is a wee bit young for a cell phone. Second, our youngest is a history buff. Her favorite activity this past summer was a trip to Lincoln's Museum...her favorite spot at the library is the Biography Section. Third, she was texting from a local FIRST NIGHT(creative environment).

So...Does that mean she broke some world record? Did she accomplish some feat previously unreached by any other? Did she win some trivia contest? Is she the youngest person to perform an amazing trick?

Turns out she literally "made history". With clay, plastic army men, popsicle sticks and beads my baby recreated THE BOMBING OF PEARL HARBOR.

As we move into a new deacade (can you BELIEVE that?), I am reminded that things are not always what they seem. There is always more than one way to explain a situation. AND.... kids are ALWAYS full of surprises!

2 comments:

Heather Devino said...

Mary Jae made the bombing of Pearl Harbor? That's actually pretty cool. At least we know they are paying attention in school. :)

michele said...

absolutely