Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Family Game Night

A few nights ago our oldest son brought his girlfriend over for supper and family game night.  His dad worked tirelessly for an hour and a half before their arrival making an impressive "Breakfast for Supper" spread.  After a filling meal of pancakes, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, bisquits and hashbrowns I volunteered to clean up the kitchen while everyone else kicked off game night with SCRABBLE. 

Dad deemed himself "official judge" as the kids picked their letter tiles and settled in.  Big brother and girlfriend (Jerremy and Erica) are 21, little brother (Jarrod) is 15 and little sister (Mary Jae) is 9. While Erica has never played Scrabble.  Jerremy and Mary Jae are both incredibly articulate. Jarrod is very laid back and just goes with the flow.

The game started slow and easy.   As play progressed Jarrod and Mary Jae occasionally found themselves stuck.  So...I would sneak around my sink full of dishes and lend my assistance.  On one such occasion I suggested Jarrod add H-O-E-S to a blank tile Mary Jae previously designated as "S".   From his seat at the kitchen table he looked up at me in confusion and whispered in my ear, "Uh, I thought that was a bad word."

I LOVE that my 15 year old is still innocent enough to care...I LOVE that we had a family game night...I LOVE that my kids want to spend time together...I Love that this still makes me laugh days later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only put "anonymous" because I wasn't sure what other option to choose since I don't have a Google account. My thoughts regarding the innocence of your fifteen year old is that I'm thrilled you are glad for the innocence too. I think sometimes young people need to understand the financial facts of life so they can make the right choices. If you want some simple math that helps young people to know just how much needs to be earned for true financial success & family success you can go to the alex opalstone home page (index pg) and see the link for an article entitled "Why Are So Many So-called Expert Financial Advisors Broke?" You can also just google "alex opalstone" to find it. Young people who read this article (as well as adults) are far less likely to become homeless in life due to poor choices. It gives great hope against the pitfalls of despair. - TM Meek

Michele said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog...I'll check Alex Opalstone out.